Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: gdb (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to gdb in Ubuntu.

  gdb displays wrong values for variables while debugging c code

Status in “gdb” package in Ubuntu:

  Hi,
  gdb shows wrong values for variables when displayed through "print <variable
name>" command. Although it is not the case always and I cannot figure out
under what circumstances this happens.
  I checked the value of the variable by adding printf command directly in the
code, the actual value printed to stdout is correct. Only the gdb shows wrong
value.

  Environment details :
  Linux mint 15 (based on Ubuntu 13.04)

  gdb version :
  GNU gdb (GDB) 7.5.91.20130417-cvs-ubuntu

  gdb configuration:
  "i686-linux-gnu"

  steps to reproduce the bug:

  compile the attached c source code (source code is a simple demo of
getopt_long function) using,
  gcc -o gdb_bug_rpt gdb_bug_rpt.c -g -Wall -pedantic

  run the code using gdb
  gdb ./gdb_bug_rpt
  cmds given below are gdb commands,
  (gdb)break main
  (gdb)run -o file1 file 2 file3
  (gdb)next
  (gdb)next (step through the code until line --        printf ("value of
optind = %d\n", optind);
  now check value of optind variable using print cmd
  (gdb)print optind
  gdb will display the value to be 1, but the actual value is 3 ,which you can
see by executing the printf line.
  Also the value of optind is assigned to variable i.you can also check the
value of i using print i after executing the foe loop for the first time. the
value of i is also found to be 3.

  But gdb displays wrong values to the user.