I discovered: Initially, I had set environment variables in .bashrc for
manually triggering the UI scaling of Qt5, Java, etc. During debugging
of this issue (as instructed above) I **commented them out** and after
loout/login, the incorrect UI scale persisted.

Now I noticed that QT_DEVICE_PIXEL_RATIO=2 and QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=2
were still set automatically during the boot/login process. Instead of
commenting them out, I then set them to 1 in ~/.bashrc but they still were
overriden.
QT_DEVICE_PIXEL_RATIO=1
QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=1
GRID_UNIT_PX=20

Then I set them in ~/.profile and they were not overriden. Moreover, the
unity8 session (8.14+16.10.20160922-0ubuntu2) renders in the correct
scale and digikam (5.4.0, Qt 5.7.0) as well. It seems like a Qt API
break so that not only these variables are not needed anymore for new
programs, but their presence now has the inverse effect.

  Incorrect UI scale on high-resolution desktop (everything is gigantic)

Status in Canonical System Image:
  New
Status in Mir:
  Invalid
Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:

  On a hidpi display, the unity8 desktop session in 16.10 has an
  oversized and inconsistent UI scale. The unity8 session is absolutely
  not usable for testing (because there is not even enough screen space
  to display the logout menu item).

  The shell+cursor is rendered with a UI scale of at least 2× the correct scale
(e.g. 4× the scale of a low-dpi display). Due to this the indicator menus
collapse immediately after clicking because they are larger than the screen
height.
  The content of the scopes window is rendered with 4× the correct scale,
giving space for only one icon.

  In unity 16.04, the correct scale could be achieved by setting "export
  GRID_UNIT_PX=16" in .bashrc, however this has no effect anymore when I
  remove or change it. The issue is also in the guest session.

  Ubuntu version: 16.10 (fresh install)

  unity8 version: 8.14+16.10.20160 amd64

  physical resolution: 3200×1800

  resolution used by unity8: 3200×1800 (at first sight I thought it
  selected a low resolution, but in fact fonts are very sharp).