Related bug LP #493766 is now "Fix Released" in Debian.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/emacs23/+bug/493766

** Bug watch added: Debian Bug tracker #753534

** Also affects: emacs24 (Debian) via

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ibus in Ubuntu.

  ibus breaks emacs and eclipse control-space keybinding

Status in “ibus” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “emacs24” package in Debian:
  Unknown

Bug description:
  Installing ibus 1.5.5-1ubuntu1 breaks Emacs 24's control-space
  keybinding.  I generally have that bound to a custom lisp function,
  but by default (e.g. starting with `emacs -Q`) it is bound to set-
  mark-command.  After doing a dist-upgrade in Trusty which installs
  ibus 1.5.5-1ubuntu1, emacs no longer even sees the control-space key
  chord.  My guess is that ibus is consuming this event, preventing
  emacs from seeing it.  This is a critical regression that makes emacs
  almost unusable.

  By process of elimination, I've narrowed it down to one of these 4
  binary packages.

  gir1.2-ibus-1.0
  ibus
  ibus-gtk
  ibus-gtk3

  Package: ibus 1.5.5-1ubuntu1
  ApportVersion: 2.13.2-0ubuntu2
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Mon Feb 10 15:15:57 2014
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 13.10 "Saucy Salamander" - Release amd64
(20131016.1)
  SourcePackage: ibus