I'm having the same issue. In fact, removing iTCO_wdt from all
blacklists doesn't solve the problem. At the boot I still get:

systemd-modules-load[365]: Module 'iTCO_wdt' is blacklisted

Adding the following to /etc/modprobe.d/watchdog.conf doesn't help
either:

install /sbin/modprobe iTCO_wdt

  systemd ignoring /etc/modules due to blacklist

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  I tried the daily build of 16.04 32-bit to test out the watchdog
  daemon code. Usually (Ubuntu 10.04-14.04) I add the watchdog module in
  /etc/modules so it is loaded at boot-time, as watchdog timer modules
  are not normally auto-loaded due to the risk of an unexpected reboot.

  However I now find that systemd is choosing to ignore my command to
  load the module in /etc/modules since it appears in the watchdog
  blacklist. Typical syslog entries look like this:

  Jan 19 16:46:14 ubuntu systemd-modules-load[337]: Module 'softdog' is
blacklisted
  Jan 19 17:53:23 ubuntu systemd-modules-load[342]: Module 'softdog' is
blacklisted

  This is just dumb! I have explicitly told the system to load the
  module, an action that works perfectly well using modprobe or by
  adding it to the start script for the watchdog, and yet systemd
  chooses to override that because of the blacklist for auto-loaded
  modules (in this case in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-watchdog.conf).

  $ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      16.04

  $ apt-cache policy systemd
  systemd:
    Installed: 228-4ubuntu1
    Candidate: 228-4ubuntu1
    Version table:
   *** 228-4ubuntu1 500
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/main i386 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  What I expect to happen is modules added to /etc/modules are loaded at
  boot time, and not subject to the blacklist for hardware detect /
  automatic loading.