This bug is a joke. This has problem has existed for YEARS. Just search
on the internet for Ubuntu no sound on speakers and you will see this
EXACT SAME issue back in 2012 or 2011. Five or 6 years and you still
can't / don't want to fix it? Ridiculous. this is a problem on Dells,
Acers, Toshibas, HPs. All of them have had this problem. Every time
there's a new release I hope it gets fixed. Has it ever been fixed? If
so, can't you just look to what you did. Or here's an idea, prior to
release, why don't you see if it is broken?

I don't want to use headphones. I don't want to buy an external speaker.
I want my laptop to work as it is. I'm so fed up with
this...........................

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  No Speakers Sound in Ubuntu 16.04

Status in alsa-driver package in Ubuntu:

  I recently installed Ubuntu 16.04 and I'm having a problem with my audio
device.
  *The internal mic is working properly
  *The external output (headphones) is working properly too.
  *But the internal speakers doesn't work.

  I tried on the live version of 16.04 and I had the same issue.

  Information of my laptop:

  lspci  -v:

  00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family
High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
        Subsystem: Dell 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition
Audio Controller
        Memory at f7f00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
        Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel

  aplay -l:

  **** Lista de PLAYBACK dispositivos hardware ****
  tarjeta 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], dispositivo 0: Generic Analog [Generic Analog]
    Subdispositivos: 1/1
    Subdispositivo #0: subdevice #0
  tarjeta 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], dispositivo 3: Generic Digital [Generic
Digital]
    Subdispositivos: 1/1
    Subdispositivo #0: subdevice #0

  Attached you can see the alsamixer configuration which shows the
  speaker volume. In capture view the audio is also in 100%

  I have no idea how to solve it. I used the same laptop with 14.04LTS
  without this problem.

  Regards