Reproduction steps:

provision device (mako) with saucy-20 + network & demo content

$ phablet-flash
$ phablet-network-setup
$ phablet-demo-setup

Once phone has booted, navigate to homescreen, then video lens. Select
'Sintel', and start playback from the preview.

Once the movie has started playing, swipe down from the top to reveal
the battery/messages/sound, etc status panel. Observe that no options
within are populated, for example 'Battery' shows 'Empty!'.

Date and time does appear to populate.

Expecte behaviour:

The battery and other panels show the settings visible if the panel is
revealed over the home screen.

Notes:

 - If  I've previously revealed the panel, I don't observe the problem
 - I also tried this with the camera app, suspecting that maybe the act of
hiding the status area at the top of the screen triggers the problem. Using
this app instead of movies the problem also occurs.

** Affects: touch-preview-images

** Affects: unity8 (Ubuntu)

--
Battery/Messages/Sound/clock indicator panel does not populate over movie
playback