This is a fairly old thread but I thought I'd throw my own experience
in. I'm using 16.04.2, and the breakage happened when I last did a
system update (about a week ago). Previously, it was working perfectly
with the following configuration:
1. uninstalled resolvconf
2. Added 'dns=dnsmasq' to /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
3. Using Cisco compatible (vpnc) VPN
My resolv.conf has always used '127.0.1.1', and name resolution via
dnsmasq worked fine on or off the VPN. Since the upgrade, dnsmasq name
resolution is broken. If I 'sudo pkill dnsmasq', NetworkManager just
dumps all of the DNS server entries into /etc/resolv.conf and removes
127.0.1.1 (thus temporarily fixing the issue).
If I strace dnsmasq, I can it hitting my local DNS servers (never the
VPN DNS servers) but it still never gets an answer, even for something
Here's something weirder. I can start the dnsmasq service (sudo
systemctl start dnsmasq.service) it binds to 127.0.0.1 (NetworkManager-
owned dnsmasq uses 127.0.1.1). This works PERFECTLY. I can dig
@127.0.0.1 for pretty much any host on the internet or the VPN and I get
The two processes run different commands:
/usr/sbin/dnsmasq -x /var/run/dnsmasq/dnsmasq.pid -u dnsmasq -7
NetworkManager owned service:
/usr/sbin/dnsmasq --no-resolv --keep-in-foreground --no-hosts --bind-interfaces
--cache-size=0 --conf-file=/dev/null --proxy-dnssec
If I edit the /etc/resolv.conf and 127.0.0.1 as a nameserver and
everything is fine.
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to dnsmasq in Ubuntu.
dnsmasq not working with OpenVPN
Status in dnsmasq package in Ubuntu:
Status in openvpn-systemd-resolved package in Ubuntu:
I'm using OpenVPN configured with Network Manager. My VPN have a DNS
server configured by OpenVPN and config pushed by it while connecting.
This server is not registered by dnsmasq so domain names are not
resolved but pinging by IP address works. When I test name resolving
by pointing to DNS server (172.16.1.1) from VPN provider it's works.
$ host google.com 172.16.1.1
Using domain server:
google.com has address 22.214.171.124
google.com has IPv6 address 2607:f8b0:400b:807::200e
google.com mail is handled by 30 alt2.aspmx.l.google.com.
google.com mail is handled by 20 alt1.aspmx.l.google.com.
google.com mail is handled by 40 alt3.aspmx.l.google.com.
google.com mail is handled by 10 aspmx.l.google.com.
google.com mail is handled by 50 alt4.aspmx.l.google.com.
But if I test without pointing DNS server is not working:
$ host google.com
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
To repair this bug I have to kill dnsmasq and it's automatically
To manage notifications about this bug go to:
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~touch-packages
Post to : firstname.lastname@example.org
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~touch-packages
More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp