sudo /usr/share/webmin/changepass.pl /etc/webmin root "your-password" solved it
for me as well
Ubuntu 14.04.5 - Webmin 1.831

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to sudo in Ubuntu.

  Login fails on Webmin

Status in sudo package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: sudo

  Performed clean install of ubuntu-11.04-beta1-server-amd64 with only ssh and
LAMP.
  Installed Webmin version 1.540 (http://sourceforge.net/projects/webadmin/).
  Opened web browser from another machine on local network and connected to
webmin server on port 10000.
  Entered my ubuntu user name and password.
  Received  this from Webmin server: Login failed. Please try again.
  This happens every time with known good user name and password until it
blocks the connecting IP address for multiple failed attempts.
  Tested with the previous version of Webmin and have same problem.
  I forced a downgrade of sudo package from 1.7.4p4-5ubuntu5 to
1.7.2p7-1ubuntu2.1 and thereafter login to Webmin server was successful.