Why are you dragging the drawer with mouse? You can invoke it with
pressing against the left edge, dismiss it with clicking outside it or
on any item inside, or Esc. Scroll with scroll wheel.

Dragging gestures are reserved to touch, and those, I believe, work
fine?

** Changed in: canonical-devices-system-image

** Changed in: unity8 (Ubuntu)

  App drawer often refuses/ignores drag gestures

Status in Canonical System Image:
  Incomplete
Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:

  If I click on the app drawer and try to drag it, it will often refuse
  to do anything.

  The issue it seems is a kind of hysteresis: If your drag is even
  slightly diagonal then it will be rejected and do nothing. The app
  drawer apparently only supports perfect vertical or horizontal drags,
  but this is not user friendly since humans will rarely drag perfectly
  vertically or horizontally.