The problem is our "modern" icons are just square, so if we don't shape
all of them, we'll get square items for all our icons.

That said, we could do away with the grey behind them indeed...

Related: bug #1673368.

  Legacy app icons look poor/broken inside a rounded grey square

Status in Canonical System Image:
  New
Status in Ubuntu UX:
  New
Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:

  Legacy app icons look poor/broken inside a rounded grey square (in the
  app drawer).

  We would achieve a much nicer appearance without the rounded grey
  squares at all. Not only that, but we'd then have a visual distinction
  between legacy app icons and "modern" Ubuntu Touch apps.