Ok, I've traced this down to bug #1675448 being the root of the issue.
Xmir is started no matter what and if an application natively supports
Mir such as a Gtk or Qt app, then there are multiple connections to Mir,
which is what the aforementioned bug is about.

So a decision needs to be made.  Either bug #1675448 needs to be fixed
or we need to revert the Gtk probing order back and just use xmir for
the time being.

The longer term solution of only starting xmir when it is actually
needed along with Mir supported toolkits probing for Mir first is the
final solution (see bug #1672931).  But that won't be done in time for
the Zesty release, hence the other options presented above:)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to gtk+3.0 in Ubuntu.

  [regression] GTK and KDE apps fail to start under Unity8 (without
  gnome-session running)

Status in Canonical System Image:
  Triaged
Status in gtk+3.0 package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in libertine package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in mir package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in qtmir package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in ubuntu-app-launch package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in xorg-server package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Recently something has regressed and if i start konsole (using xmir)
  in unity8 all i get is the splash screen with a spinner forever.

  Looking at the ps output it seems that the konsole process has
  actually started.