I was thinking about this bug last night. It occurred to me the black
screen is probably Mir's mesa-kms driver's first frame that it flips on
start-up. As far as Mir is concerned this is a very low-severity issue
since the shell should then render a proper frame 16ms later. However
since Unity8 is taking several seconds to render a "proper" frame
perhaps we need to change the start-up order...

Presently:
1. User enters password successfully
2. unity-system-compositor starts and Mir's mesa-kms driver flips a black frame.
3. unity8 starts and Mir's mesa-kms driver flips another black frame that USC
probably displays.
4. (several seconds later) unity8 has a proper frame ready and displays that.

If we got rid of the dummy black frame from Mir (and we need to anyway
since that is us hardcoding a dependency on the GL renderer in the
driver) then the best case outcome from that might be several seconds of
a frozen login screen before Unity8 appears. I'm not sure that's really
any better than blackness.

It might be better for Unity8 to take responsibility for this and flip
some splash screen immediately on startup for the user to see that
everything is OK while it compiles QML and whatever.

Also nice would be for USC to display a spinner while Unity8 is not
ready (hasn't displayed any frames). However we can't do that right now
while Mir is inserting a black frame of its own, which would make USC
think Unity8 is immediately ready.

** Also affects: mir

** Changed in: mir

** Changed in: mir

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unity-system-compositor in

  Screen is black for too long during login to Unity8

Status in Canonical System Image:
  Triaged
Status in Mir:
  Triaged
Status in Unity System Compositor:
  Confirmed
Status in unity-system-compositor package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:

  This makes me worry there's something gone wrong on every login.

  It's only this slow on a cold boot. It's somewhat faster on a second
  login.

  It'd be nice for there to be something like:

  * Splash screen
  * Progress bar
  * User's wallpaper (blurred?)

  during this time.

  Maybe it's faster on bare metal, but I'm waiting a while in a Qemu VM.

  == Note ==

  The experience might differ depending on whether you use unity-greeter
  (X11-based, default in 17.04) or unity8-greeter (not installed by
  default yet), which is better suited for this.