This was also happening in Unity7 and fixed with this kernel commit:
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git/ubuntu/ubuntu-xenial.git/commit/?id=8afcf4521804ffb323cd3a23b382159a35493582

I would expect that same fix to fix unity8, but you can confirm.

  Touch no longer working after suspend

Status in Canonical System Image:
  Confirmed
Status in Mir:
  Confirmed
Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:

  I have a Dell XPS 9350 qhd+ touch. All works fine. If I suspend it and
  then restart, touch no longer works.

  Version 16.04.1 LTS

  (Sorry -new to Ubuntu, but definitely abandonding Windows. Thank you!)

  Package: unity8 (not installed)
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Sun Sep  4 14:49:24 2016
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64
(20160719)
  JournalErrors:
   Error: command ['journalctl', '-b', '--priority=warning', '--lines=1000']
failed with exit code 1: Hint: You are currently not seeing messages from other
users and the system.
         Users in the 'systemd-journal' group can see all messages. Pass -q to
         turn off this notice.
   No journal files were opened due to insufficient permissions.
  SourcePackage: unity8