Thanks for the clarification.  I had completely missed the /d and /f
functionality.
Sorry for the bogus bugrep.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  Trailing slash missing from Dir::Cache in apt configuration

Status in apt package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  The apt configuration database has some incompatible changes which
  break existing scripts.  It is not obvious that this was deliberate (I
  hope not).

  Prior to 16.10, the configured cache directory path(s) included a
  trailing slash.  Now they do not include the trailing slash.  This
  breaks existing scripts which combine bits from the configuration
  database.

  In 16.04:
    $ apt-config shell D Dir C Dir::Cache F Dir::Cache::pkgcache
    D='/'
    C='var/cache/apt/'
    F='pkgcache.bin'

    So if this output is eval'd in the shell, then
       path=${D}${C}${F}  produces "/var/cache/apt/pkgcache.bin"

  However in 16.10:
    $ apt-config shell D Dir C Dir::Cache F Dir::Cache::pkgcache
    D='/'
    C='var/cache/apt'
    F='pkgcache.bin'

    So existing shell code now breaks
      path=${D}${C}${F}  produces "/var/cache/aptpkgcache.bin"

  If this was a mistake, please fix ASAP.
  If it was on purpose, please post (a link to) an explanation.

  Thanks.

  Package: apt 1.3.4
  ApportVersion: 2.20.3-0ubuntu8.2
  Architecture: amd64