In my view this is not invalid: "differently correct" recorders and also
printed DVDs are common in the wild and they work on Windows, osX and
"dumb" readers. And as the average user is not able to figure out a
workaround, he will assume that ubuntu is broken and switch to something
else.

The same argument ("we are applying the permissions") was made in 2009
for bug #10550 and ubuntu decision back then was to change the mount
options (possibly only to CDs/DVDs/Blueray, this is not clear from the
bug).

And let me stress again that this is indeed a regression: people used to
be able to play their braindead DVDs and now they cannot.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to util-linux in Ubuntu.

  DVDs with restricted permissions are unreadable for normal user
  (regression?)

Status in util-linux package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  I'm using 16.10. I have a DVD with strange permissions for the root
  folder:

  michele@cassandra:~$ ls -l /media/michele
  total 2
  d--x--x--- 3 michele michele 88 gen  1  2004 SONY_DVD_RECORDER_VOLUME

  The DVD is readable e.g. on windows but with ubuntu while I can access
  it as root:

  root@cassandra:~# ls -l /media/michele/SONY_DVD_RECORDER_VOLUME/
  total 4
  dr-xr-xr-x 2 michele michele 3628 gen  1  2004 VIDEO_TS

  I cannot as the non-root user that is logged in when I insert the
  disk:

  michele@cassandra:~$ ls -l /media/michele/SONY_DVD_RECORDER_VOLUME
  ls: cannot open directory '/media/michele/SONY_DVD_RECORDER_VOLUME':
Permission denied

  Looking at the mount options it seems to me that this is a regression
  for bug #10550. The options used by udisks2 are:

  root@cassandra:~# mount |grep SONY
  /dev/sr0 on /media/michele/SONY_DVD_RECORDER_VOLUME type udf
(ro,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8,uhelper=udisks2)

  while my understanding from bug #10550 is that I should have also
  mode=0777 and dmode=0777

  And indeed this works:

  root@cassandra:~# mount -t udf -o

ro,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8,uhelper=udisks2,mode=0777,dmode=0777
  /dev/sr0 ~michele/z

  michele@cassandra:~$ ls -l ~michele/z
  total 4
  drwxrwxrwx 2 michele michele 3628 gen  1  2004 VIDEO_TS