Your right, it appears to only happen when I'm logged in.

If I boot cold, at the login screen I can close and open the laptop lid
as much as I want and the screen will instantly turn off (no fade),
which is what I expect to happen.

What information can I provide to fix this issue on my system and other
systems it may happen on?

Matthew

  Laptop screen does not turn off when closing lid from login screen.

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  I'm running a new install of Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS on a Dell Rugged Extreme 7414.
  I only changed in Power Settings: When plugged in >  When lid is close = Do
Nothing
  Brightness & Lock Settings were not changed; Lock Screen after: Screen turns
off

  If I close the laptop lid while logged in at the Unity Desktop, the
  screen will fade to black and turn off, which I think is normal and
  expected.

  Then when I open the lid I get the login screen, which I also expect.

  Now, if I don't login and just close the lid, the screen does not fade to
black nor turn off.
  I would expect the screen to fade to black and turn off also from the login
screen.

  This appears to be a small issue, at least on my system.
  If anyone needs specific information about the system, please ask.