@Phillip, Wayland actually does accommodate it, I have an Arch system
where it works perfectly fine with running GParted as root. The reason
it doesn't work on Ubuntu is not completely because of Wayland, but
rather because of how Wayland has been set up by the Ubuntu GNOME team.
Which is intentional for security. I don't know, but you might be able
to disable this since it's probably somewhere in the configuration. I
don't know, I just know that on Arch there is no issue with this with
the standard Wayland.

** Summary changed:

- Wayland default policy prohibits root applications
+ GParted does not work in GNOME on Wayland

** No longer affects: wayland (Ubuntu)

** Also affects: gparted (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: gparted (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to wayland in Ubuntu.

  GParted does not work in GNOME on Wayland

Status in GParted:
  Confirmed
Status in Ubuntu GNOME:
  Triaged
Status in gparted package in Ubuntu:

  I have found that after switching from Xorg to Wayland on Ubuntu GNOME
  16.10 with GNOME 3.22 that GParted does not run when I try to run it
  as root. That is when I click the icon and enter my password nothing
  happens. I have found that when running what is run when the icon is
  clicked that the output in Terminal is (gparted-pkexec):

      Created symlink /run/systemd/system/-.mount → /dev/null.
      Created symlink /run/systemd/system/boot-efi.mount → /dev/null.
      Created symlink /run/systemd/system/boot.mount → /dev/null.
      Created symlink /run/systemd/system/run-user-1000.mount → /dev/null.
      Created symlink /run/systemd/system/run-user-120.mount → /dev/null.
      Created symlink /run/systemd/system/tmp.mount → /dev/null.
      No protocol specified

      (gpartedbin:16832): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0
      Removed /run/systemd/system/-.mount.
      Removed /run/systemd/system/boot-efi.mount.
      Removed /run/systemd/system/boot.mount.
      Removed /run/systemd/system/run-user-1000.mount.
      Removed /run/systemd/system/run-user-120.mount.
      Removed /run/systemd/system/tmp.mount.

  So I am now unable to launch and use GParted as root which is really
  the only way I can run it in order to make changes.

  Package: gparted 0.25.0-1
  ApportVersion: 2.20.3-0ubuntu8.2
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME
  Date: Fri Dec 23 11:13:13 2016
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-GNOME 15.10 "Wily Werewolf" - Release amd64
(20151021)
  SourcePackage: gparted
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to yakkety on 2016-10-19 (64 days ago)