** Description changed:

  [SRU Justification]
  software-properties does not display debconf prompts. while most debconf
prompts have default answers and this is fine, for installing dkms modules on a
SecureBoot-capable system we specifically have a critical debconf prompt with
no possible default answer that users need to step through in order for their
dkms modules to be usable.

  [Test case]
  1. sudo apt-add-repository ppa:vorlon/debconf-tests
  2. sudo apt update
  3. Launch Settings -> Software & Updates -> Additional Drivers
  4. Confirm that you are offered the option of using the 'noisy-fake-driver'
package.
  5. Select this driver and apply changes.
  6. Confirm that no debconf prompt is shown, and the driver package fails to
install.
  7. Enable -proposed.
  8. Run update-manager and verify that the new software-properties package is
successfully installed from -proposed, pulling in libgtk2-perl in the process.
  9. Close Software & Updates and re-launch it.
  10. Select the 'noisy-fake-driver' package again.
  11. Confirm that you are shown a debconf prompt, and the driver package
installs successfully.

  [Regression potential]
- The actual code change is small and self-contained, but the fix also requires
pulling in new package dependencies which will also need to be promoted from
universe to main in the process.  We need to take extra care to ensure the
upgrade path is correct.
+ The actual code change is small and self-contained, but the fix also requires
pulling in new package dependencies which will also need to be promoted from
universe to main in the process.  We need to take extra care to ensure the
upgrade path is correct.  This SRU should also be done serially one release at
a time to gather feedback at each stage.

  [Original bug description]
  I've encountered this repeatedly.

  In the first installation -- on updating via Software Updater, this
  crashed on upgrading the shim-signed package.

  On suggestions from here:

  I upgrade the system via CLI, i.e. dist-upgrade. This seemed to work,
  however when I now try to swap the display driver, from xorg --> nvidia.
  This now triggered the same issue.

  ProblemType: Package
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 16.04
  Package: shim-signed 1.27~16.04.1+0.9+1474479173.6c180c6-1ubuntu1
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.5
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Tue Apr  4 18:21:32 2017
  DuplicateSignature:
   package:shim-signed:1.27~16.04.1+0.9+1474479173.6c180c6-1ubuntu1
   Processing triggers for shim-signed
(1.27~16.04.1+0.9+1474479173.6c180c6-1ubuntu1) ...
   Running in non-interactive mode, doing nothing.
   dpkg: error processing package shim-signed (--configure):
  ErrorMessage: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error
exit status 1
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64
(20160719)
  RelatedPackageVersions:
   dpkg 1.18.4ubuntu1.1
   apt  1.2.19
  SourcePackage: shim-signed
  Title: package shim-signed 1.27~16.04.1+0.9+1474479173.6c180c6-1ubuntu1
failed to install/upgrade: subprocess installed post-installation script
returned error exit status 1

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to software-properties in

  Changing from Xorg video driver to NVIDIA driver using Software &
  Updates does not display debconf prompt

Status in software-properties package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in software-properties source package in Trusty:
  Confirmed
Status in software-properties source package in Xenial:
  Confirmed
Status in software-properties source package in Yakkety:
  Fix Committed

Bug description: