Thank you for reporting this bug to Ubuntu. Ubuntu 9.10 (karmic) reached EOL on
April 30, 2011.
See this document for currently supported Ubuntu releases:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Please upgrade to the latest version and re-test.

** Changed in: bluez (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to bluez in Ubuntu.

  bluetooth is nonfunctional

Status in Bluez Utilities:
  New
Status in bluez package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: bluez

  Since my upgrade to kubuntu karmic my USB dongle stopped working, but
  it still works in my other jaunty machine and in Windows XP.

  Adapter model is Broadcom BCM2035

  lsusb says:
  Bus 003 Device 005: ID 0c10:0000

  Symptoms:
  1) If i open bluetooth adapter settings in either kbluetooth, bluez-gnome or
gnome-bluetooth, it says adapter is in hidden mode. If i change it to
discovered, save settings, then open configuration dialog again, it still says
that adapter is in hidden mode.
  2) When i scan for bluetooth devices in kbluetooth, bluez-gnome,
gnome-bluetooth or using command hcitool scan
  it cannot find any device. When i try to connect to already known device
connection also fails
  3)Same when i try to discover karmic machine or connect to it from my mobile
or PDA.
  3) Also in adapter config dialog adapter name is set to "Broadcom BCM2035",
whereas in jaunty it was $hostname-1

  hciconfig says:
  hci0:   Type: USB
          BD Address: 00:1A:7D:0A:C8:8A ACL MTU: 377:10 SCO MTU: 16:0
          UP RUNNING
          RX bytes:664 acl:0 sco:0 events:18 errors:0
          TX bytes:76 acl:0 sco:0 commands:20 errors:0

  $ hcitool scan
  Scanning ...
  Inquiry failed: Connection timed out

  $ uname -a
  Linux gendalf 2.6.31-14-generic #47-Ubuntu SMP Thu Oct 15 02:08:08 UTC 2009
i686 GNU/Linux

  $ apt-cache policy bluez
  bluez:
    Installed: 4.51-0ubuntu2
    Candidate: 4.51-0ubuntu2
    Version table:
   *** 4.51-0ubuntu2 0
          500 http://archive.ubuntu.com karmic/main Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  Let me know if you need additional info from me.

  ProblemType: Bug
  Architecture: i386