Rebuild the 14.10 Unity system using the Final Beta and continue to have
the problem of a desktop with no Unity launch bar or Ubuntu banner (top
line).  The Gnome boot problem has been resolved, the correction did not
effect the Unity boot problem.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unity in Ubuntu.

  Unity Doesn't Start on 14.10 System

Status in Unity:
  New
Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu:

  Been having problems getting any 14.10 build (Gnome and Unity) to boot
  on this desktop.  Submitting problem report on Unity since seems
  easist to document.  I downloaded the Ubuntu 14.10 daily build dated
  8/29/14 and went through the install process without any problem.
  After completion of the install, doing the first boot of the system,
  and the login screen my desktop background is displayed with desktop
  ICONs.   There is no Ubuntu banner at the top of the screen or any
  Unity launch bar on the left.  My only option was to ctl-alt-f1 and
  build/save a bug report which I using to report under the working
  14.04 system on this same desktop.

  Package: unity 7.3.1+14.10.20140811-0ubuntu1
  ApportVersion: 2.14.6-0ubuntu2
  Architecture: amd64
  CompizPlugins:
[core,composite,opengl,compiztoolbox,decor,vpswitch,snap,mousepoll,resize,place,move,wall,grid,regex,imgpng,session,gnomecompat,animation,fade,unitymtgrabhandles,workarounds,scale,expo,ezoom,unityshell]
  Date: Sat Aug 30 08:28:02 2014
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.10 "Utopic Unicorn" - Alpha amd64 (20140829)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=linux
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>