Brian, Your patch from comment #7 works in Ubuntu GNOME 16.04 (I used
the test case) but when I tried in Ubuntu GNOME 17.04, I got the
UnreportableReason message fragment popup from the first part of the
patch.

Also, there's a typo, you once wrote "ppa-pugre"

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apport in Ubuntu.

  Drop ubuntu-gnome hook for trusty, xenial

Status in apport package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in apport source package in Trusty:
  Triaged
Status in apport source package in Xenial:

  Impact
  ------
  As announced, the GNOME3 PPAs for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS are no longer being
maintained as of April 2017. Therefore, the Ubuntu GNOME project would like to
stop receiving bugs from packages installed from those PPAs for that version,
or for 14.04 LTS which is no longer supported by Ubuntu GNOME.

  See https://launchpad.net/~gnome3-team/+archive/ubuntu/gnome3

  Test Case
  ---------
  sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
  sudo apt update
  sudo apt upgrade

  Ubuntu 14.04:
  ubuntu-bug gnome-system-monitor

  Ubuntu 16.04:
  ubuntu-bug nautilus

  What should happen:
  After several moments, you should see a popup with
  The GNOME3 PPA is no longer supported for this Ubuntu release. Please run
ppa-purge ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3

  Clean up:
  sudo apt install ppa-purge
  sudo ppa-purge ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3

  Other Info
  Ubuntu GNOME has always installed ppa-purge by default.

  Regression Potential