Thank you for reporting this bug to Ubuntu.
Ubuntu 12.04 (precise) reached end-of-life on April 28, 2017.

See this document for currently supported Ubuntu releases:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

We appreciate that this bug may be old and you might not be interested
in discussing it any more. But if you are then please upgrade to the
latest Ubuntu version and re-test.

** Changed in: pulseaudio (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  64-bit Ubuntu 12.04 may hang at user login screen

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  Sometimes 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04 may hang at user login screen. This may
  happen on 32-bit version as well, but I can not confirm this.

  The hang may last up to 45 seconds and after that everything works
  normally: user desktop picture is shown, volume indicator seems to be
  working and it is possible to type the password and log in.

  But, this is not the end of the story. Now, volume indicator looks
  like the sounds are muted, but it is still possible to hear everything
  normally. At this state, some programs may hang. Firefox is one
  example. Details exactly as stated here:

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/879240

  I am sure it has nothing to do with low resources. My computer specs
  are: Intel Core2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz with 4GB RAM and GeForce GTX 560.
  I must add that my sound card is Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
  Fatal1ty Champion.

  Other example of an other program hang is OpenArena. It may hang even
  up to 30 minutes before it is playable.

  On contrary, this never happens on my laptop (32-bit Ubuntu 12.04,
  Intel Core2 Duo @ 2.00GHz with 4GB RAM and ATi Mobility Radeon HD 3400
  with integrated sound chip.)

  Reboot fixes this issue randomly. One day the computer may boot
  perfectly, other day it hangs. Reboot may fix it or I have to reboot
  again. Usually everything works normally at least on 3rd reboot or so.

  This problem is related to pulseaudio. If Ubuntu hangs at startup,
  volume icon at the top bar is showing that audio is off (even though
  it's on), after logging in of course. Then, when I launch Firefox and
  right-click, the browser hangs. When I launch "System monitoring"
  -app, I see that process pulseaudio % CPU = 0 ID 3131 1,4 MiB has
  priority "very high". Firefox window remains blackened for about 20
  seconds and reverts back after that. Then this pulseaudio process will
  have 2,4 MiB of memory usage and it remains "very high" on priority.
  If I let Firefox hang again, I can kill pulseaudio process and Firefox
  will work normally again. But if I right-click again, pulseaudio will
  launch on background and hang the browser again.