Thank you for reporting this bug to Ubuntu.
Ubuntu 10.10 (maverick) reached end-of-life on April 10, 2012.

See this document for currently supported Ubuntu releases:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

We appreciate that this bug may be old and you might not be interested
in discussing it any more. But if you are then please upgrade to the
latest Ubuntu version and re-test.

** Changed in: ubuntu-themes (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-themes in Ubuntu.

  In Ubuntu theme for 10.10, inactive selection and alternate list color
  look the same

Status in ubuntu-themes package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: ubuntu-artwork

  As can be seen in the attached screenshot (taken from Evolution's
  message list, sorry for the heavy redaction), the alternate color in
  an alternate-color list - as used in Evolution's message list, and the
  inactive selection color (what you get if you select something in a
  view and then activate another view) are practically the same.

  I realize that the inactive selection color is about 0.8% less green
  and blue then the alternate color of an alternate-color list (which is
  uniformly gray), but this is hardly something a human can see even on
  high end monitors, let alone standard on laptops' non-LED powered LCD
  screen.

  The problem is very apparent in Evolution where one often has the mail
  viewer as the active view, while still wanting to know which message
  in the message list is selected (so, for example, when I press DEL I
  know what I'm deleting).

  Package: ubuntu-artwork 53.6
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-20.29-generic 2.6.35.4
  Date: Sun Sep 12 23:10:31 2010
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" - Alpha amd64 (20100701)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   PATH=(custom, user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8