This is fixed in Ubuntu 17.10 Alpha. I don't know yet if the fixed
version will be backported to older Ubuntu versions.

** Changed in: ubuntu-themes (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: ubuntu-gnome

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-themes in Ubuntu.

  Can not resize GEDIT windows by moving window edge

Status in Ubuntu GNOME:
  Fix Released
Status in ubuntu-themes package in Ubuntu:

  Gedit

  UBUNTU 16.04.1   GNOME 3-20   GEDIT 3.20.2
  Please restore the previously available ability to resize the gedit window by
grabbing an edge or corner of the window and moving the edge.

  I manipulate many text files each day and frequently have several open and
visible at the same time on the same monitor. (I have multiple monitors.)  The
ability to quickly change the dimensions of individual windows is very
important, and the "new" GNOME 3 method of:
  1. Move mouse to title bar, right click
  2. move the "selection" bar -DOWN- several lines, click on the word "resize"
  3. --CAREFULLY-- move the mouse --ONLY-- in the direction you want to expand
or reduce the window size.
  4. More often then NOT, you then get to do this all over again because the
computer moved the left side of the window, rather then the right side as you
had intended, or the top of the window instead of the bottom, or some sort of
vice-versa forcing you to now move your cursor to the top of the screen to
reposition the entire window.

  Much easier to just grab an edge and move THAT edge.

  I have also noticed that the majority of the applications installed on
  my system also allow grabbing the window edges, even though most of
  them also have the "click on a non-existant icon and hope that you get
  a usable pulldown menu to do something useful." method of selecting
  options that gnome 3 seems to like.

  What's worse is where the "help" and "preferences" selections are -
  especially when you have a multi-monitor sysytem.  (But I will have to
  say, that GNOME 3 is much better than UNITY.)

  Now if this method of selecting options (Resize, help, preferences,
  Print, etc) was done to support "Touch screens" then I have to ask,
  please, PLEASE, provide a user selectable option of "Desktop" or
  "Touch Screen" so that the user can make their own choice...

  Package: gedit 3.20.2-2ubuntu1~ubuntu16.04.1 [origin:
LP-PPA-gnome3-team-gnome3-staging]
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME