Internet suggests that all of India is UTC+5:30, and that Jammu and
Kashmir are on India Standard Time.

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/india/srinagar

So, yes, it appears that the installer is setting the wrong timezone for
India if it's setting it to +5 and not +5:30.  I've reached out to some
folk who know more about this and will report back.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to libtimezonemap in Ubuntu.

  Map of India is incorrect

Status in libtimezonemap package in Ubuntu:

  A correct map of India is shown here:

  https://www.mapsofworld.com/india/

  The map used in libtimezonemap needs to be updated to match.

  I'm reaching out to Prakash to get some exact details on what should
  be changed.