Yeah having the same issue here, and it was causing issues with my
puppet script to fail because it's not exiting cleanly with a 0/1 exit
status. I fixed the puppet script to accept error code 139 which seems
to be the error code it exits with.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  apt-mark segfaults when holding an already held package

Status in “apt” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “apt” source package in Precise:

  I'm trying to hold back a package but apt-mark keeps segfaulting.

  # apt-mark hold wine1.7 wine1.7-dbg wine1.7-amd64
  wine1.7 was already set on hold.
  Segmentation fault (core dumped)

  dmesg:
  traps: apt-mark[505732] general protection ip:404d5f sp:7fff0f4a3330 error:0
in apt-mark[400000+a000]

  The hold does seem to be put in place for the first package, but any
  additional packages have to be held one-by-one due to the fault.

  Package: apt 0.8.16~exp12ubuntu10.16
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.8.0-33.48~precise1-generic 3.8.13.11
  Uname: Linux 3.8.0-33-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: wl
  ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu17.6
  Architecture: amd64