The issue seems created by the gnome-session changes from
3.24.1-0ubuntu5

" * Backport patches from 3.25.3 to kill D-Bus clients on log out.
    This works around GNOME Online Accounts not working correctly
    after logging out (LP: #1610944)"

It fails every time to login it again here but downgrading gnome-session
to the previous version fixes the issue.

Note that the problem is not specific to lightdm, the behaviour is the
same using "startx -- :1" to start the session

** Package changed: lightdm (Ubuntu) => gnome-session (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: gnome-session (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  Second login always fails. I have to reboot between logins

Status in gnome-session package in Ubuntu:

  I used to be able to log in/out/in again between Gnome on Wayland and
  Xorg etc. Now it doesn't work. Any attempt to log out and in again
  fails, unless I reboot between logins.

  Package: lightdm 1.22.0-0ubuntu5
  ApportVersion: 2.20.5-0ubuntu5
  Architecture: amd64