[Expired for pulseaudio (Ubuntu) because there has been no activity for
60 days.]

** Changed in: pulseaudio (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  Configuring Audio mutes ALSA, and all sound

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:
  Expired

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: pulseaudio

  Steps to reproduce:

  1. Install Ubuntu 10.10.

  2. Plug in an USB audio device, like one of these C-Media headsets.

  3. Open gnome-volume-control to get that device into use, i.e. make it
  the default audio device.

  4. Try to get test sounds, or any other audible feedbacks.

  Result: total silence

  Workaround - it took me days to track that down:

  Go to terminal, type "alsamixer" and raise the volume level of that
  USB device. This lasts until you touch gnome-volume-control again.

  Diagnosis:

  - Flip a few switches in gnome-volume-control with alsamixer still
  opened and you'll see ALSA volume snapping down to zero again on some
  operations. Like when selecting the USB device as default device. No
  knob in this panel can get the ALSA volume back up.

  - I've selected pulseaudio as the damaged package, as it's more likely
  a side effekt of the triggers gnome-volume-control pulls, than a fault
  of the panel it's self.

  - This works fine in 10.04 LTS, so it's a regression.