[Expired for pulseaudio (Ubuntu) because there has been no activity for
60 days.]

** Changed in: pulseaudio (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  [ATIIXP - ATI IXP] SPDIF output does not work with pulseaudio (reason
  included)

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:
  Expired

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: pulseaudio

  SPDIF works fine if pulseaudio is disabled via aplay

  The problem is that this ALSA environment has this mixer control:
  Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Playback AC97-SPSA',0
    Capabilities: volume volume-joined penum
    Playback channels: Mono
    Capture channels: Mono
    Limits: 0 - 3
    Mono: 3 [100%]

  Which pulseaudio *forces* to be '3' and keeps it there. Unfortunately
  *this is not a volume control* - inside the kernel this setting
  controls the SPSA channel assignment (see the A97 2.2 spec page 58).
  For output to work on my system this must be set to 0 - S/PDIF source
  data assigned to AC-link slots 3&4

  I'm not sure who is at fault here. Some possibilities:
   1) The kernel should export this as an ENUM type setting, not a volume slider
   2) pulseaudio should treat it in some special way and at least let me set it
to 0
   3) Something else?? What is this even used for? The 'right' setting might
naturally fall out depending on the channel count, or hardware config and this
shouldn't even leave the kernel at all?

  Clearly, at least the current situation is completely useless. The
  value needs to be set properly, pulse has no way to set it, thus I get
  no sound.

  There have been other bugs related to this.. bug #198523, for
  instance. It is really obscure that something that looks like a volume
  slider has nothing to do with volume and is *critical* to proper sound
  output!!

  Jason

  Package: alsa-base 1.0.23+dfsg-1ubuntu4
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-22.32-generic 2.6.35.4
  Uname: Linux 2.6.35-22-generic i686
  AlsaVersion: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.23.
  Architecture: i386
  ArecordDevices:
   **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
   card 0: IXP [ATI IXP], device 0: ATI IXP AC97 [ATI IXP AC97]
     Subdevices: 1/1
     Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  jgg        1933 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p:   jgg        1933 F...m pulseaudio
  Card0.Amixer.info:
   Card hw:0 'IXP'/'ATI IXP rev 2 with ALC658D at 0xfe02a000, irq 17'
     Mixer name : 'Realtek ALC658D'
     Components : 'AC97a:414c4781'
     Controls      : 38
     Simple ctrls  : 24
  Date: Sat Sep 18 23:00:05 2010
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" - Beta i386 (20100901.1)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=C
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SelectedCard: 0 IXP ATIIXP - ATI IXP
  SourcePackage: alsa-driver
  Symptom: audio
  Title: [ATIIXP - ATI IXP] ALSA test tone not correctly played back
  dmi.bios.date: 09/30/2005
  dmi.bios.vendor: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
  dmi.bios.version: 3.35
  dmi.board.name: AMETHYST-M
  dmi.board.vendor: MSI
  dmi.board.version: 1.0
  dmi.chassis.type: 3
  dmi.chassis.vendor: Hewlett-Packard
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnPhoenixTechnologies,LTD:bvr3.35:bd09/30/2005:svnCompaqPresario061:pnED865AA-ABASR1610NXNA540:pvr0n41411RE101AMETH00:rvnMSI:rnAMETHYST-M:rvr1.0:cvnHewlett-Packard:ct3:cvr:
  dmi.product.name: ED865AA-ABA SR1610NX NA540
  dmi.product.version: 0n41411RE101AMETH00
  dmi.sys.vendor: Compaq Presario 061