Done some more playing and swapped the screens ports around on the card
to make it detect in the same order as I want them on the screen. It
basically doesn't cope with screens that have different resolutions
vertically. Attached picture of the supported positioning of the two
screens.

** Attachment added: "ok.png"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/1704616/+attachment/4915450/+files/ok.png

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to xorg in Ubuntu.

  Display settings mess up when screens rearranged in xfce-display-
  settings

Status in xorg package in Ubuntu:

  I have a Dell 1280x1024 19" screen and Sony 1366x768 32" screen. Due
  to the ports they are connected to on the video card they appear by
  default in xfce-display-settings in the reverse to their physical
  layout.

  On previous versions of Xubuntu there has not been any problem with
  rearranging the display order. On artful I can only get things to work
  properly if I leave the display order to the default.

  If I try to rearrange the display order on artful all sorts of weird
  things happen. The 19" screen only uses two thirds of its vertical
  height to display the picture, the rest is drawn as white. The taskbar
  disappears completely. The mouse has to be on the opposite screen to
  the one where you are working in order to be able to click on
  anything.

  Package: xorg 1:7.7+19ubuntu1
  ApportVersion: 2.20.5-0ubuntu5
  Architecture: amd64