bug #1690980 is about the lack of feedback when trying to shutdown or
reboot

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unattended-upgrades in

  Default action policy for "Security Updates" changed between 14.04 and
  16.04

Status in unattended-upgrades package in Ubuntu:

  In Ubuntu 14.04.5, the default policy under the "Updates" tab for
  "Security Updates" is set to "Display Immediately".

  In Ubuntu 16.04+, the default policy is now "Download and Install
  Immediately".

  I think this occurred due to the fix rolled out for bug #1554099.

  This has the following consequences:

  - Users may be denied apt lock when trying to install software because
  unattended-upgrades is running in the background.

  - If a shutdown is forced when the background update is running, users
  may be left with an unstable system

  - In case the update server is compromised and made to deliver
  malware, the blow to the userbase will be massive

  - From a PR standpoint, this moves away from the previous "your system
  won't ever do stuff without your permission" default policy.

  I'm of the opinion that the "Display Immediately" default should be
  rolled back. Failing that at least an official policy change
  announcement should be published so that users are made aware of this
  new default.