I'm not saying it's not useful. The point is that the library that we're
using for Exif metadata is unsuited for use on a modern desktop operating
system or server connected to the Internet.

The maintainer doesn't want to put in the work to take it from a fun
hobby to a production-grade tool. I can understand that, and I'm even
sympathetic that it was used more widely than it should have been. That's
not his fault.

But we have millions of users who expect us to protect them against
drive-by downloads that own their desktops and server administrators
who expect to use the tools we provide to build safe services for their
users in turn.

Ideally shotwell would be able to degrade service gracefully until someone
cares enough to write a safe Exif library. Less ideal would be to demote
shotwell until this is addressed.

Thanks

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to exiv2 in Ubuntu.

  please demote exiv2 to universe

Status in exiv2 package in Ubuntu:

  Hello,

  Please consider demoting exiv2 to universe.

  http://dev.exiv2.org/issues/1248

  The upstream author appears overwhelmed with the task of hardening
  exiv2 for use against untrusted inputs and thus far (~nine months) no
  users have provided the project with patches against known issues.

  $ reverse-depends -c main -r artful src:exiv2
  Reverse-Depends