Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: cloud-init (Ubuntu)

  usage of /tmp during boot is not safe due to systemd-tmpfiles-clean

Status in cloud-init:
  New
Status in cloud-init package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  Earlier this week on Zesty on Azure I saw a cloud-init failure in its
'mount_cb' function.
  That function esentially does:
   a.) make a tmp directory for a mount point
   b.)  mount some filesystem to that mount point
   c.) call a function
   d.) unmount the directory

  What I recall was that access to a file inside the mount point failed during
'c'.
  This seems possible as systemd-tmpfiles-clean may be running at the same time
as cloud-init (cloud-init.service in this example).

  It seems that this service basically inhibits *any* other service from using
tmp files.
  It's ordering statements are only:

    After=local-fs.target time-sync.target
    Before=shutdown.target

  So while in most cases only services that run early in the boot
  process like cloud-init will be affected, any service could have its
  tmp files removed.  this service could take quite a long time to run
  if /tmp/ had been filled with lots of files in the previous boot.