It also requires a complete reinstall if your boot partition is too
small (ie. you accepted the defaults with an LVM or encrypted disk
install pre 16.04 release). Machines upgraded from 14.04 will continue
to fail and be directed here.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unattended-upgrades in

  Kernels not autoremoving, causing out of space error on LVM or
  Encrypted installation or on any installation, when /boot partition
  gets full

Status in unattended-upgrades:
  New
Status in unattended-upgrades package in Ubuntu:

  Currently if one chooses to use LVM or encrypted install, a /boot
  partition is created of 236Mb

  Once kernel updates start being released this partition soon fills
  until people are left unable to upgrade.

  While you and I might know that we need to watch partition space, many
  of the people we have installing think that a windows disk is a disk
  and not a partition, education is probably the key - but in the
  meantime support venues keep needing to deal with the fact the
  partition is too small and/or old kernels are not purged as new ones
  install.

  For workaround and sytem repair, see
  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RemoveOldKernels