We discussed it at GUADEC, the GNOME design is to use symbolic icons in
the panel and our theme is missing ones to match our icons which creates
the difference. But even if we fix the theme third party apps (and some
of the default ones) are going to display a colored icon (e.g firefox)
and it's going to be difficult to have visual conistency. One way would
be to change the Ubuntu session to not display symbolic icons but always
the normal one...

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to humanity-icon-theme in

  Humanity should provide symbolic versions of custom icons for GNOME
  Shell

Status in humanity-icon-theme package in Ubuntu:

  The app icon in top panel next to application menu entry is the
  default adwaita icons and don't match the current theming.

  It's either:
  - the fact that we don't provide the correct icon size in our themes, and so,
the icons are defaulted
  - a bug in G-S