Yes, I would argue many things are non-obvious and difficult to discover
in Gnome. But Unity had some similar problems...

Good news though - We can fix this bug by changing the colour to Ubuntu-
style, avoid the garish blue/red colours, and choose something else.
Everyone could be satisfied with a well-chosen colour.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-themes in Ubuntu.

  Headerbar buttons that are highlighted/coloured in Adwaita are not
  coloured at all in Ambiance.

Status in ubuntu-themes package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  Using Ambiance on artful, the "action buttons" used in GtkHeaderBar
  are using a color similar to bar background which makes them not stand
  out. One example is the file-roller extract dialog, when using Adwaita
  the "extract" button is blue which make it an obvious click target,
  that's not the case under our themes