** Patch removed: "lp1709670-logrotate-zesty.debdiff"
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to logrotate in Ubuntu.
logrotate never recovers if the statefile is corrupted
Status in logrotate package in Ubuntu:
Status in logrotate source package in Trusty:
Status in logrotate source package in Xenial:
Status in logrotate source package in Zesty:
Status in logrotate source package in Artful:
Status in logrotate package in Debian:
logrotate never recovers if the statefile is corrupted unless you remove it
or fix the corruption by hand.
System will eventually run out of disk space on /var/log for instance.
- Install logrotate
- Run "/etc/cron.daily/logrotate" ## The first logrotate run will generate
the statefile "var/lib/logrotate/status"
- Modify "/var/lib/logrotate/status" by removing the first line in order to
corrupt the file
- Re-run "/etc/cron.daily/logrotate" and one will get the following error :
"error: bad top line in state file /var/lib/logrotate/status" every time you
Unless you remove the statefile and start again or fix the corruption
* Risk of potential regression is low, and IMHO couldn't be worst
than the actual situation where logrotate simply doesn't recover from
a corrupt statefile.
* The current patch does recover (after verification) and has been
through some upstream CI validation, community feedbacks, et al.
* Additionally, I will run the /path_to_source/test/test script as a
dogfooding that does ~72 tests.
* Upstream commit:
* Upstream bug:
* Debian bug:
To manage notifications about this bug go to:
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~touch-packages
Post to : firstname.lastname@example.org
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~touch-packages
More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp