I'm not comfortable classifying this as "Wishlist" with the original
description because that implies it's something we would do if we had
time. Actually, animations are important to achieving optical flow,
which guides human perception of what's happening.

So I strongly disagree with disabling animations by default, but do
agree the current ones are very poor and need improving. For example,
see bug 1713021.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by distortion in test case 1 though.
The transitions to/from fullscreen retain the original square pixel
aspect ratio so there is zero distortion. Can you clarify what you mean?
Maybe provide an external video or is "distortion" the wrong word?

** Changed in: ubuntu-settings (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-settings in Ubuntu.

  Add option to disable gnome-shell animations

Status in ubuntu-settings package in Ubuntu:

  I believe doing so will provide the better experience for most users. Those
that see use in it can enable if desired.
  Am filing this bug first rather than specific against gnome-shell because
this is immediately  remedied in settings & there are reports of other poor
behavior than the below test case.

  Test case 1:
  In current 'pseudo' default of xorg
  In any common video player (totem, vlc, mpv, ect.) open a video.
  Go from window to fullscreen, fullscreen to windowed, notice the distortion.

  May be even worse in wayland or when using hw decoding.

  Package: ubuntu-settings 17.10.15
  ApportVersion: 2.20.7-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Tue Sep 12 17:21:52 2017
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 17.10 "Artful Aardvark" - Alpha amd64 (20170908)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)