** Tags added: id-58e22b4afdee5f97b3bfbfd7

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ntp in Ubuntu.

  ntp: changing the default config from server to pool broke the dhcp
  hook

Status in ntp package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in ntp source package in Xenial:
  Fix Released
Status in ntp package in Debian:

  In 1:4.2.8p3+dfsg-1, the default config was changed to
  "Use pool instead of server".  This needs a corresponding
  update to /etc/dhcp/dhclient-exit-hooks.d/ntp, since the
  DHCP specified servers now get added to the default pool
  config instead of replacing them.

  This affects Xenial only as the Yakkety build includes the upstream
  fix (1:4.2.8p7+dfsg-1).

  Original Debian busg https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=809344
  & https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=806676

  [Test Case]

  philroche: This surfaced for me initially while testing on GCE. On GCE
  NTP servers are provided via DHCP so the easiest test case is to
  launch an instance on GCE without our workaround configured.

  One such image is "daily-ubuntu-ntpdebug-1604-xenial-v20170331" in
  project "ubuntu-os-cloud-devel"

  To start an instance of this image:

  `gcloud compute instances create daily-ubuntu-
  ntpdebug-1604-xenial-v20170331 --image-project ubuntu-os-cloud-devel
  --image "daily-ubuntu-ntpdebug-1604-xenial-v20170331"`

  Then run `ntpq -p` which should, once ntp is patched, return only one
  entry 'metadata.google' and should not return any of the ubuntu NTP
  pools.

  [Regression Potential]

  As noted in comments #1 and #2, this SRU might surface an issue if the
  user is receiving a broken set of NTP servers.

  And as noted in comment #4, some people might be hackishly using the
  distinction between spaces and tabs in the config file to trick our
  current hook.  Debian has gotten rid of that distinction, so that hack
  will stop working on distro-upgrade anyway.  The fix is *probably*
  going to help more people who unintentionally mixed the two up rather
  than the few that are relying on that bug.  But that bit can be easily
  dropped from the SRU if ya like.