I'm unable to reproduce this on an up to date install of Ubuntu Artful.
Can you please update and see if it still happens? I tested on wayland
and xorg.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-themes in Ubuntu.

  Sound volume notification jumps left and right when changing volume

Status in ubuntu-themes package in Ubuntu:

  Ubuntu 17.10 Beta running live from USB

  Steps to reproduce:
  1. Place the mouse cursor over the volume icon in the top right corner of the
screen
  2. Turn the mouse wheel
  You will notice quite big notification bubble at the bottom centre of the
screen. When you're turning the mouse wheel the notification is showing the
volume level.

  Expected result:
  The notification stays in one place all the time I change the volume level

  What happens instead:
  For some volume values the notification jumps left and right on the screen

  Short video attached.