I added a FOOBAR variable to both ~/.pam_environment and
/etc/default/locale, with different values in each file, and after
logging in the value is the one from ~/.pam_environment. So I don't
think gdm sources /etc/default/locale after ~/.pam_environment. However
variables LANG, LANGUAGE and LC_* appear to be overridden by the values
in /etc/default/locale, and set_up_session_language() in daemon/gdm-
session.c (https://git.gnome.org/browse/gdm/tree/daemon/gdm-
session.c#n2488) looks suspicious in that regard.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to accountsservice in Ubuntu.

  Switching language and format broken

Status in Ubuntu GNOME:
  New
Status in accountsservice package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in gdm3 package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in accountsservice source package in Artful:
  New
Status in gdm3 source package in Artful:
  Confirmed
Status in gnome-control-center source package in Artful:

  In Ubuntu GNOME 16.10 it doesn't matter what display language I select
  - the effective language is still the one stated in
  /etc/default/locale. ~/.pam_environment is changed as expected, but
  the variables set in /etc/default/locale override ~/.pam_environment.

  In Ubuntu GNOME 16.04 language switching takes effect, but the reason
  for that seems to be that /etc/default/locale is changed as well, so
  when a user changes the display language (or format), it changes it
  for all users on the system.

  The overriding by /etc/default/locale is probably caused by some other
  package(s) but g-c-c.