Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make
Ubuntu better.

I was just looking for kernel-related apt bugs and came across this
report.

It seems likely to me, given that it's had only one affected user in
this time, that this was caused by filesystem corruption or a hardware
problem on the reporter's computer and not by a bug in Ubuntu. So I'm
marking this bug as Incomplete to make it clear that no progress can be
made on this bug by Ubuntu developers.

If you believe this really is a bug in Ubuntu rather than a problem on
your system, please explain and set the bug status back to New. Thanks!

** Changed in: apt (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  Malformed 01autoremove-kernels apt file

Status in apt package in Ubuntu:

  After updating my system earlier today, I wanted to perform an apt
  search and it failed with this error:

  E: Syntax error /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01autoremove-kernels:20: Malformed
  tag

  Upon inspecting the file I saw this malformed line (2nd line):

     "^.*-modules-4\.4\.0-24-generic$";
   ^@h½N^H<88>ÿÿodules-4\.4\.0-28-generic$";
     "^.*-kernel-4\.4\.0-24-generic$";