Check
Re: Jag klarar inte plдdar mцte idag

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to shadow in Ubuntu.

  'Account has expired' message when adding a new user, after "passwd -l
  root"

Status in landscape-client package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in shadow package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in landscape-client source package in Hardy:
  Won't Fix
Status in shadow source package in Hardy:
  Won't Fix
Status in landscape-client source package in Intrepid:
  Invalid
Status in shadow source package in Intrepid:
  Fix Released
Status in shadow package in Debian:

  Binary package hint: adduser

  I've repeatedly added new users, but receive a seemingly spurious
  error:

  rich@aias:~$ sudo adduser james
  Adding user `james' ...
  Adding new group `james' (1004) ...
  Adding new user `james' (1004) with group `james' ...
  Creating home directory `/home/james' ...
  Copying files from `/etc/skel' ...
  Enter new UNIX password:
  Retype new UNIX password:
  passwd: password updated successfully
  Your account has expired; please contact your system administrator
  chfn: PAM authentication failed
  adduser: `/usr/bin/chfn james' returned error code 1. Exiting.

  However, the user can log in.

  rich@aias:~$ finger james
  Login: james                                  Name:
  Directory: /home/james                Shell: /bin/bash
  On since Mon Jun  9 21:19 (PDT) on tty1   4 minutes 57 seconds idle
       (messages off)
  No mail.
  No Plan.

  adduser version: 3.105ubuntu1
  ubuntu version: 8.04 , fully updated

  I've marked this as a security issue, since pam is part of the error
  message.

  Update:

  This seems to be related to the use of "passwd -l root".
  Until the Debian fix shows up in hardy, here is a workaround, thanks to
Nicolas François:

   sudo passwd --unlock root
   sudo usermod --lock root