Public bug reported:

On a fully up-to-date Ubuntu 17.04, running most applets from busybox-
static that are network-related lead to a segfault. Example:

$ busybox nslookup google.com 8.8.8.8
Server:    8.8.8.8
Segmentation fault

$ busybox
BusyBox v1.22.1 (Ubuntu 1:1.22.0-19ubuntu2) multi-call binary.
[...]

$ apt-cache policy busybox
busybox:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1:1.22.0-19ubuntu2
  Version table:
     1:1.22.0-19ubuntu2 500
        500 http://ftp.fau.de/ubuntu zesty/universe amd64 Packages

$ dpkg -S /bin/busybox
busybox-static: /bin/busybox

$ apt-cache policy busybox-static
busybox-static:
  Installed: 1:1.22.0-19ubuntu2
  Candidate: 1:1.22.0-19ubuntu2
  Version table:
 *** 1:1.22.0-19ubuntu2 500
        500 http://ftp.fau.de/ubuntu zesty/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

This even happens when passing invalid domains or DNS servers to use
that don't actually run any DNS service. (like "busybox nslookup
google.com 1.2.3.4" or "busybox nslookup bar.foof00 8.8.8.8"), so it
seems to be early in the network setup.

I could not reproduce the problem on the very same system when compiling stock
busybox 1.22.1 (why even? we're at 1.27.x!) myself, neither with a recent git
clone. Also two VMs I had at hand running Ubuntu 14.04 and 16.04 didn't show
this problem with busybox-static. Installing the package "busybox" (which
removes busybox-static) fixes the problem on 17.04.
The only thing that might be related in any way about my system is that it has
no IPv6 connectivity (apart from the link-local address).

I also sent a crash report when the apport window popped up, but I have
no idea where this ends up and how to add further information, hence
this report here. Please let me know if this seemingly trivial bug
cannot be reproduced instantly, so I can try to assist with further
information.

** Affects: busybox (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to busybox in Ubuntu.

  busybox-static: several network applets segfaulting

Status in busybox package in Ubuntu: