I seem to have a similar (the same) problem. Ubuntu 17.10 - sleep and
resume leaves the resolv.conf with a "search" directive that breaks name
resolution for any name within the domains mentioned in the search
directive.

Trying to resolve any name fails, as e.g.:

% systemd-resolve <name in search directive>
<name in search directive>: resolve call failed: No appropriate name servers or
networks for name found

Deleting the search directive and restarting the networking service
resolves things temporarily (until the next suspend/resume loop).

I've removed the request for search directives from the dhcpclient.conf,
and this works fine the first start, but suspend/resume leads some
service to add the search directive again, and name resolution breaks.

  Search list in resolv.conf breaks resolving for that domain

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  Ubuntu 17.04
  systemd 232-21ubuntu5

  Adding a domain to the search list in /etc/resolv.conf breaks
  resolving for that domain. Not only does the search list not get used
  as expected, but host names in the domain cannot be resolved by
  systemd-resolved at all.

  I just ran into this after upgrading from ubuntu 16.04 to 17.04 which
  enabled systemd-resolved. I have for a long time used resolveconf to
  add a 'search my-domain'-line to my /etc/resolv.conf.

  Example of expected behaviour. With Googles DNS server (8.8.8.8) and
ubuntu.com in the search list in /etc/resolv.conf. Both dig and systemd-resolve
can resolve www.ubuntu.com and www:

      $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
      nameserver 8.8.8.8
      search ubuntu.com
      $ dig +nostat +nocmd www.ubuntu.com
      ;; Got answer:
      ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

      ;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
      ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
      ;; QUESTION SECTION:
      ;www.ubuntu.com.                  IN      A

      ;; ANSWER SECTION:
      www.ubuntu.com.           501     IN      A       91.189.89.115

      $ dig +search +nostat +nocmd www
      ;; Got answer:
      ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

      ;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
      ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
      ;; QUESTION SECTION:
      ;www.ubuntu.com.                  IN      A

      ;; ANSWER SECTION:
      www.ubuntu.com.           382     IN      A       91.189.89.103

      $ systemd-resolve www.ubuntu.com
      www.ubuntu.com: 91.189.89.115

      -- Information acquired via protocol DNS in 2.7ms.
      -- Data is authenticated: no
      $ systemd-resolve www
      www: 91.189.90.59
           (www.ubuntu.com)

      -- Information acquired via protocol DNS in 3.8ms.
      -- Data is authenticated: no

  Ubuntu 17.04 default config, with the systemd-resolved name server in
  /etc/resolv.conf and no search list. www.ubuntu.com can still be
  resolved correctly:

      $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
      nameserver 127.0.0.53
      $ dig +nostat +nocmd www.ubuntu.com
      ;; Got answer:
      ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

      ;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
      ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 65494
      ;; QUESTION SECTION:
      ;www.ubuntu.com.                  IN      A

      ;; ANSWER SECTION:
      www.ubuntu.com.           482     IN      A       91.189.89.110
      $ systemd-resolve www.ubuntu.com
      www.ubuntu.com: 91.189.90.58

      -- Information acquired via protocol DNS in 18.2ms.
      -- Data is authenticated: no

  Broken behaviour, using the systemd-resolved name server and specify
  ubuntu.com in search list. Resolving fails for www.ubuntu.com and www,
  both using dig (DNS) and using sytemd-resolve:

      $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
      nameserver 127.0.0.53
      search ubuntu.com
      $ dig +nostat +nocmd www.ubuntu.com
      ;; Got answer:
      ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 33334
      ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

      ;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
      ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 65494
      ;; QUESTION SECTION:
      ;www.ubuntu.com.                  IN      A

      $ dig +search +nostat +nocmd www
      ;; Got answer:
      ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 50588
      ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

      ;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
      ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 65494
      ;; QUESTION SECTION:
      ;www.ubuntu.com.                  IN      A

      $ systemd-resolve www.ubuntu.com
      www.ubuntu.com: resolve call failed: No appropriate name servers or
networks for name found
      $ systemd-resolve www
      www: resolve call failed: All attempts to contact name servers or
networks failed