Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: init-system-helpers (Ubuntu Xenial)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to init-system-helpers in

  Pacemaker package upgrades stop but fail to start pacemaker resulting
  in HA outage

Status in OpenStack hacluster charm:
  Invalid
Status in init-system-helpers package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in pacemaker package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in init-system-helpers source package in Xenial:
  Confirmed
Status in pacemaker source package in Xenial:
  Fix Released
Status in init-system-helpers source package in Zesty:
  Confirmed
Status in pacemaker source package in Zesty:
  Fix Released
Status in init-system-helpers source package in Artful:
  Confirmed
Status in pacemaker source package in Artful:
  Fix Released
Status in init-system-helpers source package in Bionic:
  Confirmed
Status in pacemaker source package in Bionic:

  [Impact]
  upgrades of the pacemaker package don't restart pacemaker after the package
upgrade, resulting in down HA clusters.

  [Test Case]
  sudo apt install pacemaker
  sudo systemctl start pacemaker
  sudo dpkg-reconfigure pacemaker

  pacemaker daemons will not be restarted.

  [Regression Potential]
  Minimal, earlier and later versions provide the defaults in the lsb header.

  [Original Bug Report]
  We have found on our openstack charm-hacluster implementations that the
pacemaker .deb packaging along with the upstream pacemaker configuration result
in pacemaker stopping but not starting upon package upgrade (while attended or
unattended).

  This was seen on three separate Xenial clouds.  Both Mitaka and Ocata.

  The package upgrade today was to pacemaker 1.1.14-2ubuntu1.2.

  It appears that pacemaker.prerm stops the service using
  "invoke-rc.d pacemaker stop" and then the pacemaker.postinst attempts to
start the service, but silently fails due to policy denial.  It appears the
policy check fails because /etc/rcX.d/S*pacemaker does not exist because
/etc/init.d/pacemaker has no Default-Start or Default-Stop entries in the LSB
init headers.  (or rather, they are blank.)

  I have not checked whether this affects trusty environments.

  I'd suggest on systems that use systemd, the pacemaker.postinst script
  should check if the service is enabled and start it with systemctl
  commands rather than using the cross-platform compatible invoke-rc.d
  wrappers.  Or upstream pacemaker should get default start/stop
  entries.

  Our default runlevel on cloud init built images appears to be 5
  (graphical), so at least 5 should be present in /etc/init.d/pacemaker
  LSB init headers under Default-Start:.