Just updating that in 17.04 and 17.10 it still shows, some times
multiple times for the same issue. The opt-in option is better suited
for end users and if a developer wants it enabled they can simply edit
the apport file. But again, a year later and 2 versions later, a simple
opt-in approach (that would actually help so many users I have talk to)
would be the way to go. Anything else like telling the user to install
something or thinking for the developer first (and forgetting the whole
idea is to make a user friendly desktop system) is so wrong.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apport in Ubuntu.

  Apport should be disabled by default

Status in Apport:
  Confirmed
Status in One Hundred Papercuts:
  Confirmed
Status in apport package in Ubuntu:

  I work with large communities (US, India, Latin America) and almost
  the number one issue they have with Ubuntu or simply scares them off
  is the fact that errors keep popping up every time. Some times
  multiples times per minutes, per hour, per day.

  The reason is how apport works by default. The "solution" is going to
  /etc/default/apport and setting the option to 0 (Disable). I do
  understand the full benefit or submitting automatically all bug
  reports, but this has gotten (And most Ubuntu users will be able to
  confirm) out of hand with some many popup questions about some bug or
  another that are simply fixed the moment the report is going to be
  send (eg: Compiz issue that was fixed a couple of milliseconds later,
  unity issue, dash issue, firefox issue, etc..). All of them have
  mechanism to handle failures and basically heal themselves.

  The question regarding this is:

  Leaving apport enable by default on an Ubuntu installation simply
  scares or annoys end users (a lot may I add). Leaving it disabled, it
  will not send a bug report, but there is no issue in simply creating
  an ubuntu-bug report through the terminal. So the sending of the
  report is still valid, but is not forced onto the user (And not forced
  so many times).

  This report is back by about 3 years going back and forth with the
  same apport issue and seeing probably around 500 users I have helped
  myself with the same issue, since this makes Ubuntu less productive to
  the actual user, even from start.

  Package: apport 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.1
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportLog:

  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Wed Sep 14 08:16:03 2016
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64
(20160420.1)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: apport
  modified.conffile..etc.default.apport:
   # set this to 0 to disable apport, or to 1 to enable it
   # you can temporarily override this with
   # sudo service apport start force_start=1
   enabled=0
  mtime.conffile..etc.default.apport: 2016-08-12T16:38:06.249273