Public bug reported:

I recently installed Lubuntu Next 17.10.

I have been using Flashpeak-SlimJet as a browser, but it is not in the
repositories,
so I download the .deb file and use gdebi to install it.

The version of gdebi that Lubuntu Next installs is gdebi-kde, presumably
because LN uses Qt.

The first problem was that the .desktop file for gdebi-kde has the line
"OnlyShowIn KDE;Qt" (or similar).  I tried to alter the line, but was
unsure of syntax, and nothing appeared in the menu until I removed the
line entirely.

The next problem was that whether trying to bring up the program from
the menu or double-clicking on the .deb file or using the context menu,
nothing ever happened.

When running from the terminal, I got the following result:

"scott@scott-Asus-M2N68-AM-PLUS:~$ gdebi-kde
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/gdebi-kde", line 26, in <module>
    from PyKDE4.kdecore import KCmdLineArgs, KAboutData, KCmdLineOptions, ki18n
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/PyKDE4/__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
    import sys,DLFCN
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'DLFCN'
"

I don't know if that is the only module missing, or if it just stops at
the first error.

I "solved" the problem by installing "gdebi" and invoking "gdebi-gtk"

scott@scott-Asus-M2N68-AM-PLUS:~$ uname -a
Linux scott-Asus-M2N68-AM-PLUS 4.13.0-16-generic #19-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 11
18:35:14 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
scott@scott-Asus-M2N68-AM-PLUS:~$ lsb_release -dsc
Ubuntu 17.10
artful
scott@scott-Asus-M2N68-AM-PLUS:~$ echo $DESKTOP_SESSION
QLubuntu
scott@scott-Asus-M2N68-AM-PLUS:~$ apt-cache policy gdebi-kde
gdebi-kde:
  Installed: 0.9.5.7+nmu1ubuntu3

Package: gdebi-kde 0.9.5.7+nmu1ubuntu3 [modified:
usr/share/applications/kde4/gdebi-kde.desktop]
NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
ApportVersion: 2.20.7-0ubuntu3.1
Architecture: amd64
CurrentDesktop: LXQt
Date: Sun Nov 12 15:48:56 2017
InstallationMedia: Lubuntu-Next 17.10 "Artful Aardvark" - Beta amd64 (20171014)
PackageArchitecture: all
SourcePackage: gdebi

** Affects: gdebi (Ubuntu)

** Tags: amd64 apport-bug artful

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to gdebi in Ubuntu.

  LubuntuNext 17.10 - Not in Menu + ModuleNotFoundError

Status in gdebi package in Ubuntu: