The main reason to do this is kernel cruft. We have had kernels being
flagged for removal for years now, and it's completely reliable. We
really should garden that automatically.

Mark

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  'upgrade' in bionic should by default autoremove as well

Status in apt package in Ubuntu:

  In bionic, apt upgrade should also autoremove by default. I have a few
  bionic systems (upgrades from xenial mostly) which are not yet showing
  that behaviour, it may be we haven't implemented that yet so this is
  just a placeholder bug in that case :)