At code inspection I have strong believe this commit is the one changing
the behaviour between comment #2 (America/Sao_Paulo) and comment#6 (UTC)

* 8e3260376c Update timezonemap.h, which needs to match

commit 8e3260376c65b762a51eee7c30ab560dadefa1f6
Author: Derick Rethans <git...@derickrethans.nl>
Date:   Tue Oct 24 14:55:13 2017 +0100

    Update timezonemap.h, which needs to match the bundled TZ db

-       { "wgst",  1,  -7200, "America/Godthab"               },
-       { "wgt",   0, -10800, "America/Godthab"               },

$ git tag --contains  8e3260376c
php-7.0.26
php-7.0.26RC1
php-7.1.12
php-7.1.12RC1
php-7.2.0
php-7.2.0RC5
php-7.2.0RC6

It seems like this update has been backported in upstream 7.0, 7.1, ...
~1month ago.

This would possibly need an SRU to adapt our different PHP package
version where it applies to stay align with new tzdata package.

- Eric

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to tzdata in Ubuntu.

  tzdata info for WGT/WGST broken

Status in php5 package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in php7.0 package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in tzdata package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Using "America/Godthab" timezone, "WGT/WGST" is no longer displayed
  from date command but instead just "-03". Problem is evident in PHP
  applications too, which now think we're in Sao Paolo.

  This appears to have changed with latest tzdata update or perhaps in
  combination with change from DST.

  Same problem on 16.04, 17.10 and Debian 9.